Wednesday 19 November 2014

Initial Artist Research

Anna Sebestova
One of the first artists I looked into was Anna Sebestova (http://cargocollective.com/annasebestova). I was initially intrigued by the simple, yet effective, line work she creates. I decided to focus mostly on her work into mushrooms, and the patterns that she derives from them. I wanted to see how her work would translate into different media, so I explored using techniques such as stitch, ink and monoprint, as well as more traditional media like fine liner. I really like the simplicity of her work and how, when put into a repeating pattern, it begins to look more complex.

 

Melissa Bolger
Melissa Bolger (http://www.melissabolger.com/) was another artist I researched into in the early days of the project, and I really enjoyed responding to her work. I really love the inky quality to her work, and I found myself thoroughly enjoying my time researching it. I worked mainly with ink and fine liner, yet also explored using stitch as well as working on different surfaces such as acetate. I find working with ink particularly enjoyable, as you are given a lot of freedom and the ink does a lot of work on its own as it spreads and drips down the page.


Chad Wasser
A third artist, who inspired me greatly, is Chad Wasser (http://chadwasser.com/). I really like how unique his work is, and how it almost looks scientific. I was eager to respond to his work in a very stitch based way, as I felt the very creative and ‘free’ nature of his work would translate well into stitch. I worked on PVC and used acrylic paint to create the splotchy shapes before stitching into it, leaving hanging threads for an almost decayed effect.


 Word Count: 278


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful postings Emily - really lovely use of images & well written - well done - keep posting you are a natural blogger!

    ReplyDelete