Friday 30 January 2015

Designing And Creating My Final Outcome

I had a lot of indecision whilst thinking of ideas for my final outcome. I changed my mind a lot, and had planned to make many different outcomes before I finally chose one that I was happy with. My initial idea was to extend my petri dish idea, and create lots of petri dish outcomes using different techniques. I would have made some with the PVA glue method I have explored in the past, some similar to those I made that were inspired by Chad Wasser, with PVC and hanging threads, and some stitch based petri dishes with heavy embroidery. However, this idea soon was replaced with a more textiles based outcome idea, which came to me when studying Leisa Rich. I combined the ideas from both Liesa Rich and an artist I looked at early on in the project, Yellena James. I created a canvas, the inky, bright background of which was inspired by the surface built work of Leisa Rich. Onto the canvas, I stitched a selection of flowers influenced by Yellena James, some made from net, others from PVC, and even Vanishing Muslin.



After creating this piece, I thought that I would create many more of them as my outcome. This was a turning point in the project, because I knew I wanted to stick with the machine embroidered flowers idea, however, I did not use them in the canvas context that I had originally planned. After discovering the work of Helen Whitworth, I decided that I wanted to create a wrap-around garment, not unlike Helen’s work. I would use my flower idea, and create a long, floor length body piece created completely out of the flowers I have stitched. Even whilst making my outcome, my ideas changed again. Rather than using ink to colour my outcome at the end, like I originally planned, I finally settled on leaving the flowers white. I felt that the pure, white on white appearance had a lot of impact on its own, impact that I thought might be lost if I did add colour.


I feel that although my indecisiveness caused me some stress nearing the end of the project, I think that it was worth it as my final outcome is one that I am hugely proud of, and I don’t think I would have been so happy with it if I had chosen to follow through with some of my other ideas.


Word Count: 404

No comments:

Post a Comment